It’s amazing how quickly the product preferences of the vaping community can change. Just a few years ago, it looked as though pre-filled pod systems were set to render most other types of vaping devices obsolete – but that never quite happened. Refillable vaping devices enjoyed a brief renaissance after the United States banned pre-filled vape pods in non-tobacco and menthol flavors – and then the new generation of disposable vapes began to appear.
At first, disposable vapes were mainly popular because they used synthetic nicotine and therefore weren’t subject to the ban that removed flavored vape pods from the market. The people who would have used pre-filled pod systems bought disposable vapes instead. The people who preferred refillable vapes, however, continued using the same devices they always had.
In 2022, though, those product tendencies finally began to change. Users of refillable vaping devices began to abandon their vape mods in favor of the latest high-capacity disposable vapes made by companies like Elux and sold by vape shops like Cloud City. For the first time since bottled e-liquid hit the market, refillable devices actually appear to be approaching irrelevance for a large segment of the vaping market.
How did things change so quickly, and why have high-capacity disposable vapes begun to take over the vaping industry? Those are the things you’re going to learn from reading this article.
What Is a High-Capacity Disposable Vape?
A high-capacity disposable vape is any device that delivers more than a thousand puffs or so before it requires replacement. The bar-shaped disposable vapes that hit the market a couple of years ago were significantly smaller than the devices of today and typically delivered around 300 puffs each. Today’s high-capacity disposable vapes, on the other hand, often deliver up to 5,000 puffs and even more in some cases. Each device holds the equivalent of a small bottle of nicotine salt e-liquid and may contain more than 500 total milligrams of nicotine.
Buying one of today’s disposable vapes is almost like buying a bottle of e-liquid and a vaping device at the same time – and paying less than what you’d have paid for either of those products individually.
How Do High-Capacity Disposable Vapes Work?
So, how does a modern disposable vape manage to deliver upwards of 5,000 puffs or even more in such a small package? The answer is that the devices have rechargeable batteries. Since the battery in a rechargeable disposable vape consumes a relatively small portion of the device’s interior, there’s plenty of room for e-liquid. A rechargeable disposable vape maximizes that space and will usually have 10 ml of vape juice or even more. Since you can recharge the device when the battery dies, you can drain the entire supply of e-liquid before replacing the device.
The idea of a rechargeable disposable vape might seem like a bit of a contradiction to you. After all, isn’t a disposable device supposed to be one that requires no maintenance at all? The truth is, though, that rechargeable disposable vapes aren’t really competing with traditional single-use disposable devices – it’s more accurate to say that they’re competing with refillable devices. Among a sizable segment of the vaping market, they’re winning.
Should You Switch to Disposables if You Already Vape?
So, here’s the big question: Should you consider trying one of the new high-capacity disposable vapes if you already vape and use a refillable device? Here are some of the benefits of today’s rechargeable disposable vapes.
- They’re probably the cheapest way to vape. If you only use your device when you would have smoked a cigarette, you’ll find that switching to disposable vapes will reduce your vaping expenses to as little as a dollar or two per day.
- Although you will need to recharge the device, disposable vapes eliminate some of the other inconvenient maintenance aspects of vaping. There’s no need to replace pods or atomizer coils and no need to refill the device with e-liquid.
- There’s a very wide selection of flavors available. Although there are more bottled e-liquids on the market than there are disposable vapes, there are dozens of different companies making disposable devices – and each one has several flavors available. It’s very likely that you’ll find a flavor perfect for you no matter what your preferences may be.
Although today’s rechargeable disposable vapes have many compelling benefits for those who currently use refillable devices, they aren’t necessarily ideal for everyone. These are the main drawbacks of disposable vapes that you should consider before making the switch.
- Disposable vapes aren’t for cloud chasing. They’re typically filled with high-strength nicotine salt e-liquids – and because they have so much nicotine, they’re designed to produce clouds of a relatively modest size. If the main reason why you use a refillable device is because you enjoy blowing enormous clouds across the room, you might not be completely happy with the smaller clouds that a disposable vape will produce.
- If the device that you’re currently using is designed for direct-to-lung inhaling, you’ll find that switching to disposable vapes will require you to change your inhaling style because all disposable vapes are designed for mouth-to-lung inhaling. The mouth-to-lung inhaling style is what’s appropriate for higher-nicotine e-liquids, whereas the direct-to-lung style works better for low-nicotine e-liquid. If you’ve ever found yourself losing interest in vaping because it doesn’t provide the assertive throat hit of a cigarette, you’ll probably enjoy using a disposable vape. If you’re happy with direct-to-lung vaping, though, you’ll probably be happier if you continue to use your current device.
- The fact that disposable vapes are filled with high-nicotine e-liquids means that using them feels very different from using a refillable device with a low-nicotine e-liquid. If you currently use an e-liquid with a low nicotine strength, you probably vape almost constantly throughout the day to maintain a steady level of nicotine in your system. With a disposable vape, on the other hand, you’ll feel a stronger nicotine sensation due to the higher strength of the e-liquid. If you don’t want to change the way vaping feels from a nicotine absorption standpoint, you’ll probably be happier with the device you’re currently using.