Table of Contents
Last Updated on February 10, 2017 by Team Spinfuel
Who would have thought that just a couple of years ago the vape community was all about 50W box mods, like the ever-popular eLeaf iStick 50, and today we are regularly talking about, and buying, mods with wattage ranges of 250W and above? Today we present our review on the SMOK GX350 TC Box Mod, one helluva 4x 18650 high-amp mod capable of a maximum wattage output of an astronomical 350 Watts. Now, with the new SMOK TFV12 Cloud Beast King, there is a Sub-Ohm tank that can take full advantage of all that power.
The SMOK GX350 TC Box Mod arrived on Monday and as I opened our shipment I looked through them and grabbed the purple colored one. Never owned a purple box mod before, so I figured this would make a nice change. The SMOK GX350 Starter Kit includes a SMOK TFV8 Cloud Beast, also in purple, which made a nice companion piece for the box mod. The preinstalled coil head, a V8-T8 Kanthal/Organic Cotton 0.15Ω 50W-260W range, was ideal for evaluating the GX350. The Kit also includes the V8-Q4, SMOK’s ‘flavor-tweaked’ coil head.
After a full day of vaping with the purple TFV8 I switched it out for the TFV12 Cloud Beast King to try my hand at vaping above 300W. I should note that the purple Cloud Beast is exclusive to this Starter Kit version, you can’t buy a purple TFV8 Cloud Beast as a standalone tank.
About the SMOK GX350 TC Box Mod Starter Kit
A lot is being said about the size of the SMOK GX350 TC Box Mod and how SMOK’s engineers could utilize 4x 18650 yet create the smallest 4x cell mod. When you consider the behemoth that is the WISMEC Reuleaux RX300, another 4x cell box mod, you must admit that what SMOK achieved is no small matter.
The size of the GX350 is 58×40.4×84.5mm, which in inches equates to 2.28 inches by 1.5 inches, by 3.32 inches. Set side by side the SMOK Alien, a Dual 18650 box mod and the size difference is striking. At the time of this writing the SMOK GX350 has the smallest footprint of any 4x cell box mod, and the most power. And the price is an amazing value. ($84.95 for the Kit model at Element Vape)
The SMOK GX350 TC Box Mod functions on both 4x 18650 high-amp batteries, or 2x 18650 high-amp batteries. When using 4x cells you have access to the full 350W. When using 2x cells the maximum wattage output is 220W. Having the option of using 2x cells for 200W is appealing to buyers that love the design of the mod, but do not need all the power that 4x cells offer. 220W is still a lot of power, and most users won’t need more than that.
I admit I was concerned about throwing the GX350 off balance with just two 18650 batteries, but when I used the mod with 2 cells the balance was fine.
The minimum resistance of the SMOK GX350 box mod is an incredible 0.06Ω. Any Sub-ohm tank or RDA will be compatible with this heavy-duty, advanced box mod. This week I used the TFV8 and TFV12, and even vaped with the eLeaf Melo 300 (under review), and the results were spectacular every time.
From an aesthetical angle the SMOK GX350 is a gorgeous box mod. SMOKTech is one of the best vape gear creators in the industry today, and the GX350 is no exception when it comes to designing and building a stylish, contemporary, and comfortable box mod. While WISMEC designed their 4x 18650 cell box mod in a true “box” style, SMOK went with smooth angles, designing the exterior as though it were two triangles faced back to back, with sculpted, curved corners. The sides of the GX350 are augmented with carbon fiber panels, and the color combinations are achieved by using rich, deep, and durable finishes.
Like a few other SMOK box mods the GX350’s OLED Display sits atop the device. The display features all the information needed to feel in total control, including two batteries indicators for each “pair” of 18650 cells.
Variable Wattage and Temperature Control
Inside the SMOK GX350 TC Box Mod is a state-of-the-art advanced chip that is capable of several modes and supports firmware upgrades using the USB cable (included) and the USB port on the mod.
The Variable Wattage begins at a minimum of 6W to a maximum of 350W. This incredible range of output power allows the user to vape with any available resistance that can be achieved today in any premade coil head.
In addition to variable wattage, the SMOK GX350 Box Mod is equipped with a very accurate temperature control, temperature sensing, and temperature limiting features. When used with an atomizer coil made with Ni200 (Pure Nickel) SS316L (Stainless Steel) or Ti, (Titanium), heating elements, the GX350 allows the user to adjust and set the temperature of the atomizer coil. The user can customize the temperature of the vapor being is produced, permitting cooler or warmer clouds of vapor, depending on the preferences of the user. If you’re a fan of Temperature Control that you know that properly utilizing it can prevent dry hits and scorching. However, out the box the GX350 TC Box Mod Starter Kit includes the TFV8 Cloud Beast with 2x Kanthal A1 coils, which are not TC compatible. The user will need to pick up the optional RBA or use an RDA or a sub-ohm tank equipped with an RBA deck.
The list of features and specs for the GX350 and the TFV8 Cloud Beast is extensive, and we’ve listed them below. But first, some basic operation information and then my Real World Report.
Basic Operations of the SMOK GX350 TC Box Mod
I have heard owners of SMOK mods tell me that the Menu system used in all the modern SMOK devices are hard to work with, and at times seem to be endless circle of finding their way out of the Settings mode. While it can seem that way at first, especially if it is the first SMOK mod the owner has, just keep in mind these basic operations below.
To dive into the ‘Settings’ menu press the Firing Panel 3 times in under 2 seconds. Using the Adjustment Bar, the Up end of Down end of the bar will take the user into each of the settings, beginning with the Wattage/TC mode. Getting out of the Settings is a simple matter of completing the tasks the user needs to make and then leaving it alone for a few seconds. The settings the user makes is automatically saved.
The GX350 has a 12-second pull limit. More than enough for even the biggest Cloud Chasers.
To navigate the menu, click the Firing Panel 5 times to UNLOCK it (if it’s locked of course) With the GX350 UNLOCKED, Press the Firing Panel and the DOWN part of the adjustment bar to switch between Variable Wattage and Temperature Control.
In Wattage Mode Press and Hold the Firing Panel and the UP part of the adjustment bar to switch between “min, soft, medium, or hard” initial firing. I use “medium” for a nice balance between a hard-hitting initial burst of wattage and a slow ramp up of wattage.
If in Temperature Control Mode, the same Firing Panel and UP part of the adjustment bar will set the box mod for 15-220 or 15-350 wattage. However, removing the batteries and then placing just 2 cells in their correct positions (see photo) the GX350 will automatically set the wattage range.
Real World Report
I haven’t used a SMOK box mod in the past year that I didn’t love using. The GX350 TC Box Mod is no exception. Here are the main reasons why I intend to use the GX350 as my primary box mod.
- The GX350 TC Box Mod packs more power than any mod on the market right now, but the size is so much easier to handle than any other 4x cell box mod. This is the first 4x cell mod most woman would find comfortable to hold and use.
- The Firing Panel is firm, yet easy to use. The natural grip fits either hand exceptionally well, and pushing on the firing panel is a simple matter. The GX350 is the first large mod that I can use with either hand.
- The Starter Kit version includes the SMOK TFV8 Cloud Beast, a 6ml sub-ohm tank that I’ve loved using for several months. The fact that my TFV8 Cloud Beast is purple, to match my GX350, is all icing on the cake.
- Access to the display panel is the easiest. As I vape and pull the drip tip away I can glance down and see all the information I need. No more twisting my wrist to set a side or front display in the right orientation.
- Let’s face it, $84.95 for the Starter Kit version is spectacular. If you are considering the GX350 and are all set on sub-ohm tanks, Element Vape is selling the SMOK GX350 TC Box Mod for $69.95. Still a great value, but consider spending another $15 and getting a new TFV8 Cloud Beast. Having another great sub-ohm tank is never wrong.
The achievements made by SMOKTech are amazing. The most powerful box mod in the smallest possible footprint. In addition, the chipset is seems to be very accurate, and navigating the menu is simple and efficient once you understand it.
The only possible grade I can give to the Starter Kit version of the GX350 TC Box Mod is a big fat
SMOK GX350 350W TC Box Mod Features:
- Quad High-Amp 18650 Platform – Sold Separately
- Optional Dual High-Amp 18650 Battery
- Dimensions: 84.5mm by 58mm by 40.4mm
- Wattage Output Range: 1-350W
- Max Power at Dual 18650: 220W
- Min Atomizer Resistance: 0.06ohm
- Temperature Range: 200-600F
- Supports Ni200 Nickel, Titanium, and Stainless Steel Heating Elements
- Superior Zinc Alloy Construction
- Poly-Angular Frame
- Natural Soft Contour
- Top-Style Intuitive OLED Display
- Hinged Battery Door
- Stealth Firing Bar Mechanism
- Temperature Protection
- Short Circuit Protection
- Over Current Protection
- Over/Under Voltage Protection
- MicroUSB Port – Firmware Upgrades ONLY
- 510 Connection
- Available in Black Red, Silver, Gold, Rainbow
SMOK TFV8 Cloud Beast Tank Features:
- 25.5mm Diameter
- 6mL Maximum Juice Capacity
- 5.5mL Juice Capacity with T8-V8 Coil
- Superior Stainless Steel Construction
- High-Grade Glass Reinforcement
- Convenient Top-Fill Design with Hinge Lock
- Dual Adjustable Airflow Control at Base
- Black Delrin Ultra-Wide Drip Tip
- Patented Turbo Engines Coil Structure
- 0.12ohm V8-T10 Deca/Decuple Coil (10T) – rated for 50~300W, recommended 130~190W
- 0.15ohm V8-T8 Octuple Coil (6.6T) – rated for 50~260W | recommended 120~180W
- 0.2ohm V8-T6 Sextuple Coil (6.0T) – rated for 50~240W | recommended 110~150W
- 0.15ohm V8-T8 Octuple Coil (6.6T) – rated for 50~180W | recommended 90~150W
- V8 RBA (4.0T-X) – 18mm Two-Post, Dual Terminal Deck
- 510 Connection
The SMOK GX350 TC Box Mod Starter Kit Includes:
- 1 GX 350 Mod
- 1 TFV8 Cloud Beast
- 1 V8-T8 Octuple Coil Head
- 1 V8-Q4 Quadruple Coil Head
- 1 Replacement Glass Tube
- Spare Parts and O-Rings
- Instructional Manual