Table of Contents
Last Updated on August 5, 2019 by Team Spinfuel
The MOTI pod mod by Mojo is a colorful, attractive, and unsurprising vape. We’ve seen better, and worse, pod systems in the past.
That said, the MOTI does seem to bring together more than a few of the better features from the myriad of pod systems on the market, and retail it for an affordable $27.95.
In this review I’ll touch on vape performance, battery life from the integrated 500mAh battery, and flavor production from its decent honeycomb ceramic coil. If vaping a pod mod System is the way you prefer to vape, the MOTI could work for you.
Open MOTI Pod and Closed MOTI Pod
The MOTI is sold as an “open” pod system, meaning empty 1.8mL pods that can be refilled several times, and a “closed” pod system, disposable pods containing 1.8mL of nicotine salt e-juice.
While MOTI offers several flavors in their “closed” system, we chose to only review the “open” system. Choice is everything, and I have my own nic-salt flavors, and 50:50 PG/VG flavors I want to use. For that reason, I won’t discuss the pre-filled pods sold by MOTI.
- Integrated 500 mAh rechargeable battery
- LED indicator
- Magnetic base connection to keep MOTI pods secured in place
- Charge time: ~50 minutes
- Dimensions: 115mm x 20mm x 10mm
- Provides protection against short circuits / low voltage / low resistance / overheating
- 10-second safety cutoff
- Micro USB Recharging Port
- Resistance Range: 1.2Ω – 1.5Ω
- 6th-generation honeycomb ceramic core
The Particulars of the MOTI
The battery capacity in the MOTI device is 500mAh, while the coils themselves have a resistance range between 1.2-1.5 ohms. Such pro-ohm coils don’t require a lot of power, so a fully charged MOTI will get you about 2.5-3 hours of vaping time before a charge is needed. Plus, the MOTI can be vaped while it’s charging. Feel free to hook the USB-to-MicroUSB to your computer while working.
The MOTI wick (it’s been a long time since I’ve used that term!) is a honeycomb ceramic core. MOTI claims that it is an efficient and flavorful with any type of e-liquid. However, when I went to test this claim I was not able to get any flavor or vapor from a 30% PG 70% VG blend.
E-Liquid from The Plume Room, their 50:50 PG/VG blends, worked well and provided a muted but detectable flavor. The MOTI can be used as a CBD vape pen as well, with about the same results of the more expensive CBD vape pens on the market.
Let’s Talk Nicotine Salt E-Juice for the MOTI
Pod mods shine brightest when used with a nicotine salt e-liquid. (The prefilled pods by MOTI are nicotine salt based) so I spent a good deal of time with some of the highest rated nic-salts. Below are some bullet points about what to expect from nicotine salt e-liquid in your MOTI, or just about any other pod mod
- The break-in time for ANY Pod is at least an hour, sometimes more. Prior to that there is very little flavor from most nic-salt blends. Unless you’re vaping a powerful menthol or Ice flavor, don’t expect to taste much until the coil is properly broken in.
- Despite the very high nicotine strength in nic-salt blends, the ‘throat hit’ is much milder than a freebase e-liquid at 18mg freebase nicotine. Nic-Salts are smoother than freebase nicotine, even at 50mg.
- If you smoke cigarettes try to mimic the same pattern of your smoking. A 2-3 second pull, in a Mouth-To-Lung fashion with no more than 4 “hits” per 2 minutes. I like to take a short pull, then immediately after a longer pull, holding both in my mouth and then breathing the vapor into my lungs. I find a flavorful and abundant vape with the MOTI when using this method.
- If you smoke a lot, and feel as though you’re going to vape a lot, then by all means, buy the lowest strength of nicotine-salt you can, or buy a 50:50 blend from The Plume Room (TPR is the best juice for any pod mod anyway) – TPR Review
- Because of the high level of nicotine, be careful in the beginning. Vaping too often in one sitting you’ll start sweating profusely, you’ll get a headache, and probably get a bit dizzy. (It seems to happen to me when I review a new pod mod or nicotine sale e-juice)
More on the Open Pods
Filling the pod is a simple matter of lifting the black cover off the pod, then lifting off the rubber stopper. Use a pointy unicorn type tip and fill the pod. You can also use a syringe like the old days. Once full, replace the rubber stopper, slip the cover back on, and insert the pod into the MOTI device.
Let the pod mod sit for 5 or 6 minutes before taking a hit. That’s to prevent scorching the coil, you’ll still need to vape it for a while to break the coil in.
The Honeycomb Ceramic Core of the MOTI Pod
The MOTI pod is said to be a “6th generation honeycomb ceramic coil.” They don’t explain what that means, or where generations 1 through 5 are, but I suppose it should be mentioned.
The coil does wick well, and inside a few minutes. Just don’t expect flavor and vapor like the larger mods and sub-ohm tanks offer. A pod mod vape experience is nothing like vape gear for hobbyists.
Vaping the MOTI Open pod mod System
Most pod vapes of this type suffer from low flavor output, and the MOTI is no different. Believe me, with a ceramic core I really wish I could tell you that the flavor was phenomenal, but it wasn’t. Even after a full break-in of the coil it took strong MTL pulls to get minimal flavor.
I recommend a 50/50 blend juice (nic salt or freebase nicotine). That’s where this pod mod vapes best. With 50/50 freebase juice, the MOTI can keep up with 5+ second pulls, which is how I like to vape pod mods. Multiple hits are fine too, if the nicotine level is 12mg or less.
As I mentioned already, the 500mAh, battery of the MOTI lasts about 2.5-3 hours of real honest-to-goodness vaping. Charging the mod took me about an hour the first time, about 45 minutes each time after that.
In a Nutshell
- No spitting or popping, but then again, why would it?
- No leaking so far (10 days)
- Pod is Refillable about 8-10 times
- Average battery life
- Pass-thru charging
- Average Charge Time of about 45 minutes
- Neutral flavor for a pod vape
- Decent MTL draw
- Quick wicking of the ceramic coil
- Vapes super quietly
The MOTI is definitely a decent-looking pod vape and has a good hand-feel. It’s not very different in looks from most vape pen pod mods. But to be honest, many pod mods Systems look good these days. Fortunately, the good looks and the average performance make the MOTI a pod mod you won’t be disappointed with as long as you enjoy pod mod vaping. Expecting anything beyond MTL draws and limited vapor production will leave you disappointed.
The MOTI measures 12 mm x 19 mm x 115 mm, and it weighs 24 g, soaking wet. It has magnetized drop-in pods, with a good connection between battery and pod. The magnets are strong enough to hold the pod in, but we’re not sure how well they’ll hold up over long-term usage. Most pod vapes have a magnetic design, and we haven’t experienced any troubles, so let’s assume the MOTI will offer similar durability.
The MOTI is plug-and-play and works with an automatic draw. It features an LED that lights when you take a draw, and while charging. When the charge is complete the light goes out.
For a pod device I am kinda-sorta-pleased with the MOTI. However, when I vape a pod mod I have to use an e-liquid with strong flavor, like something from The Plume Room’s 50:50 blends, otherwise NO pod mod delivers much flavor.
That honeycomb ceramic core is supposed to be a big deal, and I hoped that it would be the defining factor for delivering good flavor with a nicotine-salt juice. Sadly, it’s about average for a Pod coil.
I certainly don’t mind the price. It won’t break your pocketbook, so if you like what you’ve read here feel free to give it a try.
Better yet, watch these two videos below, and YOU decide which of us you want to trust.
Colors: black, warm grey, white, red, yellow, pink, teal, blue, aurora and silver
Kit price: $27.95 (at MOTI website)
4-pod pack price: $14.95 (at MOTI website)