Evolv DNA 250 Vs. DNA 200 – Are There Many Differences?
Ever since the newest DNA board, the Evolv DNA 250 dropped, the most frequent question we’re hearing is “Are there differences beyond the extra 50W?”. It’s a fair question, and in this piece we’ll fill you in on the Evolv DNA 250 and why the new specs, and features, matter.
The Evolv DNA 250 Bullet List
To speed things along, here’s a bullet list on how the Evolv DNA200 and DNA250 differ. Later, we’ll address the obvious; “Should I upgrade from a DNA200 mod to a DNA250?”
- Evolv DNA 250 has been tuned for 2x or 3x 18650 Batteries out of the box, plus LiPo. The DNA200 was developed to use LiPo packs (but 3x 18650’s worked without reverse polarity protection).
- Battery Management has been improved substantially. The Evolv DNA250 boasts a whopping 97% power efficiency. What this means to you is more vaping time between charges because the new board uses battery energy more efficiently, squeezing out more power in each cell.
- Faster Charge Times – A major selling point of the Evolv DNA250 is its ability to handle 2amp charging. In the real world this means charging the batteries inside the device much faster. And unless your external battery charger can charge at 2amps, you’ll charge faster inside the mod.
- Reverse Polarity Battery Protection – Not a big deal? Well, hold on. While Reverse Battery Protection has been around for ages, Evolv developed the DNA200 for LiPo’s, so Reverse Polarity Protection wasn’t considered. Then the WISMEC Reuleaux happened, and now that the 2x or 3x 18650 cell design has taken off, Evolv did a smart thing by tweaking their new board to be safer to use with 2x or 3x cells.
- Overall Improvements – Most vapers don’t study the fine points of a boards improvements, and that’s fine. However, it is worth noting that Evolv has improvement the accuracy of Temperature Sensing in TC mode, and a smoother control system for Stainless Steel wire in TC mode.
- Onboard Reverse Voltage Protection
- Higher Current Fuse
- 55A Continuous Current Output
We’ve included a chart from Evolv for vapers interested in the finer points.
How the DNA 250 and DNA 200 Are Alike
While Evolv has made significant improvements with the new DNA250 board, it maintains the same size and can easily be swapped out by modders looking to bump their mods to the new board. We’ll begin DNA250 mod reviews very soon, beginning with Lost Vape’s Triade DNA250.
For Lost Vape, the new Evolv DNA250 offered the opportunity to tweak their very successful Triade mod with new colors and finishes. Both Triade mods are the same size, weight, and so on, but the new Triade DNA250 is a safer device with more power, faster charging, and better performance.
Should I Upgrade?
And there it is, right? A few months ago you went out and purchased a DNA200 mod, like the above mentioned Triade by Lost Vape, and now that the Triade has been upgraded to the DNA250, do you need to upgrade your older Triade?
No. Unless you want to of course.
Chances are if you purchased the Lost Vape Triade DNA200 you love that mod. I love mine! It’s understandable. Despite the new improved board there is no pressing reason to fall out of love with the older Triade.
Yes, you’ll get several improvements with the Triade DNA250, but unless spending $150 is of no consequence to you, the reasons to upgrade are not that commanding. Still, if you’ve been wanting to upgrade to an Evolv DNA board, now, and in the near future, as more DNA250’s come to market, there are superb reasons to do so.
And there you have it. The Evolv DNA250 is an important upgrade, and it proves Evolv still has plenty of innovation and passion for their boards. What is going to be a lot of fun is watching the new mods come to market with this new board.
The Evolv DNA 250 Feature and Specs
- Triple 18650 Battery Platform and LiPo Support
- Wattage Output Range: 1-250 Watts
- Voltage Output Range: 0.5-9.3 Volts
- Temperature Range: 200-600F
- Min Kanthal Resistance: 0.2ohm
- Min Temperature Resistance: 0.1ohm
- Intuitive 0.91 Inch OLED Display
- Reverse Battery Protection System
- 97% Output Efficiency
- Cell-by-Cell Monitoring
- Cell Balancer
- Atomizer Protection
- Low Resistance Protection
- Short Circuit Protection
- Overheat Protection
- Low Voltage Step Down Protection
- Upgradeable Escribe Software