CBD is the latest health supplement rave on the internet. It is everywhere you go and available in different forms, from tablets to powder, oil, chewable gummies, and lotions. What is so special about this new rave, you might ask? Moreover, what exactly is it, and why are people trying it as an alternative health supplement? For answers to all these questions, continue reading below.
What Exactly is CBD?
You might have probably come across it on the internet, but don’t know what it is: CBD, also known as Cannabidiol, is the second-highest active compound found in cannabis, the highest being THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). THC is the component of the cannabis plant that induces a feeling of being “high” to recreational users.
On the other hand, Cannabidiol is different: it is from the hemp plant, which has a lower content of THC, less than 0.3%, than marijuana. By itself doesn’t cause a high; instead, it is in-demand due to its medicinal benefits.
You can take it in different forms, such as oil extracts, pills, creams, gums, sprays, and as a plant (flower).
Why Are People Trying CBD As A Healthy Alternative?
There are a lot of myths and facts about Cannabidiol flying across all over the internet. Despite this, a lot of people are beginning to try it to see what it is all about. Below are some reasons why people are opting for CBD as a healthier alternative:
For the Hype
As ridiculous as this might sound, some people are trying Cannabidiols for the hype alone. There is a big rave surrounding the use of CBD for ailments, hence people have come to view this product as a panacea to all illnesses. Some folks use it as a regular supplement for healthy living.
As the media gives CBD more coverage, the more attention it gains from all sects of people, including celebrities, researchers, influencers, athletes, etc. For a product that has promotion from celebrities and famous people, it is no surprise that a lot of ordinary folks are also joining the bandwagon.
Currently, the industry is worth millions of dollars, and it is not stopping anytime soon. It is predicted to reach 22 billion US dollars by the year 2022.
Apart from the apparent hype, another reason people are trying CBD is because of its accessibility. For some people, they first saw CBD as an advert on the net before trying it out. You can now easily access your CBD products online and have it delivered to your home, or conveniently work into a store or even a gas station to buy.
There are different ways to take CBD. You can get CBD flower here, which you can smoke or vaporize, or take as oil tinctures, edible gummies, tablets or even sprays.
It is Natural
For those who prefer organic medicine and natural healing, Cannabidiol is the way to go. Apart from using it to treat specific ailments, some people are beginning to use CBD as a health supplement, or to relieve a stressful day and aid sleeping in general. Even some hair and skincare products now have CBD content. While the benefits of CBD on hair and skin have yet to be scientifically verified, a lot of people see it as a safe and natural way of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
It is advisable to always buy CBD products from credible sources, such as Cheef Botanicals, to ensure that you are getting the real thing.
It is Legal
CBD is perfectly legal to use as long as it is from hemp and not marijuana. This has made the product a go-to option for many users. Unlike its half-sister, marijuana, which is still facing legalization issues in some states, the use of CBD is lawful in any state under the farm bill. Keep in mind, though, that while CBD use is legal, doctors cannot prescribe it yet. This is mostly due to the lack of regulation in the industry, as well as inadequate research to decisively evaluate its benefits and risks.
Safe to Use
CBD has no psychoactive effects on users. Although its risks have yet to be scientifically and properly diagnosed, it is relatively considered safe to use.
In fact, in June 2018, the use of Epidiolex, a type of CBD oil, was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating some types of epilepsy. So far, there are no records of deaths from its use, and it is a safer alternative for some compared to other forms of medications.
Nonetheless, CBD is known to cause the following side effects:
- Mood changes
- Change in appetite
- Dry mouth
- Liver damage
Numerous Health Benefits from CBD
This is perhaps the most important reason that people are trying CBD as a healthier alternative. Some of these health benefits include:
- Help overcome an addiction (alcoholism, smoking, etc.): There is some evidence supporting that CBD aids in quitting an addiction. The reports of a study revealed that smokers who use CBD inhalers gradually reduced smoking and experienced less cravings.
- Treat anxiety, insomnia, and withdrawal symptoms: According to research, CBD has promising potential in treating anxiety and reducing withdrawal symptoms, although more research is necessary to validate claims.
- Treat seizures in epilepsy: This is the most substantial evidence of CBD’s use in medical science. Epidiolex, a refined form of CBD, has been used to treat epilepsy syndromes like Lennox-Gastaut and Dravet syndromes in children. As shown in a review of studies, CBD was able to either totally stop the seizures or significantly reduce them.
- Reduces chronic pain and as an anti-inflammatory solution: CBD may be a more natural solution for chronic pain. According to a study conducted on animals, CBD lowers pain and inflammation. Regardless of the potential therein, there is a need for human studies to verify claims.
- Cure acne: Another promising area is in treating acne, a condition that is caused in part by inflammation. A study notes that cannabidiol may help in reducing the promotion of sebum that causes acne in the body.
- Fights ailments: Finally, there are claims that cannabidiol can help combat cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, and also treat the effects of Alzheimer’s disease at an early stage. It is still mostly unclear whether CBD has a direct impact on the treatment of these severe diseases. Nonetheless, it could help relieve symptoms such as pain, depression, insomnia, and anxiety in patients battling with these ailments.
The CBD Conclusion
From the above, it is possible to appreciate the hype about CBD. Although expert opinions are mixed, there are enough reasons to want to try CBD as a healthy alternative today. Nevertheless, before you start taking CBD, it is advisable to speak to your doctor first. It will also be better if you always stick to the recommended dosage.