The top casino game in Australia, roulette, named after a French phrase that means “small wheel,” is thought to have originated from the Italian game Biribi. It is one of those games with both physical and online versions, free spins, and variants named after the country they are popularly played in. We have French, American, and European roulette, with slight differences. Let’s take a look at the origin some years back.
History says the first form of the game was developed in the 18th century. Still, many people also believed that a primitive form of roulette – devised by Blaise Pascal, a French mathematician – existed a century before.
Historians said that Pascal’s roulette lived by chance because he searched for a perpetual machine. The roulette we know today is a hybrid of an Italian game and the gaming wheel invented in the 1700s. If you like to gamble with crypto or are interested in Bitcoin, it will be interesting for you to read if it is better to stay away from Bitcoin or not.
How Is Roulette Played?
In roulette, a casino player can choose to place a bet on the following:
- Single number
- Group of numbers
- Red or black colour
- Odd or even numbers
- Small or large numbers
The dealer, who runs the games for the players, spins the wheel in one direction and rotates the ball in the other way on a metal circular track on the outside of the roulette wheel to determine the outcome (win or loss). The ball loses speed after going through a section of deflectors, rebounds into the wheel, and then drops back into one of the numbered and coloured pockets. Pockets include the following:
- Thirty-seven (the French and European roulette, which have a single zero).
- Thirty-eight (the American roulette, which has a double zero).
- Thirty-nine (the Sands roulette, which has a triple zero).
When the ball stops moving, the pocket it enters determines the winner, i.e., who placed a successful prediction.The pockets in the wheel are numbered from 0 to 36. So, for the numbers between 1-10 and 19-28, odds numbers are coloured black, while even numbers are red. The reverse is the case for the numbers between 11-18 and 29-36. There’s a slight difference between American and European roulette, which I will explain later.
Types of Bets in a Roulette Game
One good thing about the roulette game is the variety of betting options available to the Au players. You can choose to either play the inside bets or outside bets. What do they mean?
- Inside bets mean that a player either chooses to predict the exact pocket number the ball will slide into or a range of pockets based on proximity as described on the wheel. It includes betting on a single number, three chronologically consecutive numbers in a line, two – horizontal or vertical–adjacent numbers, three that provide for at least one zero, four numbers that meet at a corner, etc.
- Outside bets mean selecting a larger group of pockets, and predicting the parity of the numbers or the exact pocket colour. Payouts on these bets depend on the probability of achieving a particular result. Generally, outside bets have better odds of winning but with lesser payouts relative to inside bets. Apart from the range of pockets, parity, and colour, you can play a dozen bets where you predict if the ball falls within the range of the first dozen (1-12), second dozen (13-24), or third dozen (25-36).
Two other types of bets are column and snake bets, each getting their names from how the numbers are arranged – which also determines a likely win or loss. Except stated otherwise, any of these bets mentioned will be recorded as a loss if zero shows up in the results. There are also mathematical expressions that explain the expected values for different bets.
How Does House Edge Work in Roulette?
House edge is in every real money casino – in AU and beyond – and players must depend on luck and a few strategies to fight the edge. In this case, the house edge, also called the expected value, is the number of times a player records a win relative to the bet.
For example, in American roulette, if a gambler plays a ‘single number’ chance, the probability of winning is 1/38, while the likelihood of losing – which also translates to a win for the house – is 37/38. The European and Sands roulette denominators will be 37 and 39, respectively.
American Roulette VS European Roulette
Experienced casino players will already be familiar with the difference between the variants of games. The best online casino may also highlight the differences on their website. But for a novice in gambling, the first notable difference is the number of pockets in the wheel which is 37 for European roulette and 38 for the American variant. You can find both variants in most real money casinos in Australia. Some blogs always highlight in italics that players should never play the American variant, especially when the European variant is available. The reason is the difference between the roulette wheels. The American roulette wheel has another green pocket with a double-zero number which also means an extra pocket on the wheel. The green slot on the European variant is just one and has a single-zero digit instead. Regardless of the variants, your rewards are the same once you obtain the correct number/score. What is different is the chances of winning, and it’s dependent on the number of pockets.
When betting on a single number in the European version, a player has a 1 in 37 chance of winning; in the American version, it has a 1 in 38 chance. The additional double-zero slot raises the odds, which lowers the player’s chances of winning. Your decision as a player is obvious because both types give the same reward (35 times the bet on a win). Most casinos prefer American tables because they have a bigger house edge than European ones, which increases players’ chances of winning. The French design, which places its wheel in the center, is uncommon outside Monte Carlo, Monaco, France. You can find a variety of roulette games online casino Australia.
Roulette Wheel Sequence
Knowing which numbers are most likely to come up can give you a big advantage at the roulette table. That’s why it’s essential to know the roulette wheel sequence. Understanding which numbers tend to hit the most can improve your chances of winning.
Now that the reason you should always pick the European style is apparent, here is a table showing the best online casino European roulette games in Australia:
|1. 3D Roulette||Joe Fortune|
|2. Wheel of Riches||Raging Bull Casino|
|3. Multiplayer Roulette||Planet 7 Oz Casino|
|4. Live Roulette||Spin Palace Casino|
|5. European Roulette Gold Series||Ruby Fortune Casino|
Roulette is one of those few online games where AU players stand more chances to win with the help of specific proven strategies. Every casino player has to depend on luck, but how luck comes, how long it stays, and who it favours cannot be controlled by anybody. Strategy is the only thing calculated, which also helps a player’s chances of winning. Strategies have been tried and tested before they can be called ‘strategy’, but in the real sense, can roulette strategy help you succeed? Or, better still, how frequent are your winnings when you use strategies? The strategy works but does not guarantee a 100% win. Nothing guarantees a 100% win in gambling, not even the best streaks of luck. Let’s look at the type of roulette strategies, what they mean, and how they work.
Categories of Roulette Strategies
There are two major types of roulette strategies. They are Progressive and non-progressive strategies.
- Progressive Strategy. The progressive strategy means increasing your stake after each round of the roulette game. It could increase and change based on the outcome of the previous bet – either win or loss. This type of strategy often follows a particular gambling pattern, and some examples of systems under this category are Fibonacci, D’Alembert, Labouchere, and Martingale. People that use the progressive style are often professionals who are high-risk takers and can afford huge bankrolls. Having that in mind, you, as a beginner, shouldn’t be found near strategies like these. If you are also a low roller, the progressive style might not be the best idea, although some people believe it helps limit losses and yield profit in the long run.
- Non-progressive Strategy. The non-progressive is relatively more manageable but involves a certain amount of risk. For the non-progressive strategy, betting on subsequent rounds is regardless of the previous outcome. The famous ‘all-in’ style of betting is under the non-progressive approach. That style of betting involves placing your entire bankroll on a wager. It’s believed to be the best idea for short-term betting.
This strategy – created by a French mathematician, Jean-Baptiste le Rond d’Alembert, in the 1800s – follows a structure that works on only even bets, regardless of the colour. Before playing, you first decide on the starting amount of stake representing the unit. When you start playing and win the first bet, reduce the next stake by one unit, but if you lose the bet, increase the next stake by one unit. This is a perfect idea for beginners in gambling.
The Fibonacci strategy – named after an Italian mathematician who went by that name – deals with a sequence of numbers to determine your next stake. Here is the sequence:
0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, etc.
The sequence reads that your next stake is the sum of the last two stakes on the sequence. You proceed to the next number for each loss, and for each win, you go back to two places on the sequence. Ensure that the stakes are placed on even bets, such as either the colour or parity. This system is suitable for high-risk takers. Also, there are a lot of reasons that led to the growth of the AU online gaming industry.
This betting system is designed to help AU gamblers recover their money after losses. It works in a way that you double your stake after every loss so that if a win eventually comes, it covers up for the losses and leaves some bucks left as profits. The best way to utilise the Martingale system is to stake on even outside bets with a 1:1 odd. It’s relatively safer, although it still involves certain risk levels, and it’s the best idea for high rollers.
Can AU Roulette Strategy Tips and Bets Help You Win
Some popular betting systems work well for roulette and some other casino games. But if you are not familiar with roulette and you don’t have an interest in learning it, here are some other real money casino games that you can play on the best online casino in Australia:
- Online slots (mobile slots on phones)
- Video poker, etc.
The best casinos in AU offer good bonuses like no deposit bonuses, reload bonuses, etc., for existing and new consumers, depending on eligibility. The no deposit bonus is the most popular attraction in online casinos.
Whenever an online casino indicates the ‘no deposit bonus tag, they tend to get more clicks and sign-ups. In roulette, you can also enjoy casino bonus like free spins – and free slot games for online slots. Always note that the best payout online casino will also offer flexible payment options to allow seamless gambling. As a citizen of AU, it’s advisable to bet in dollar deposit casinos because of the easy payment.