Filling Your Own Cartomizers? This Review Is For You
By Tom McBride
My boss, John Manzione, came into my cubicle a couple of weeks ago and handed me a package. In the package was a collection of syringe’s, fittings, and blunt needles. He told me the products together formed the product name of “The Plunger”. He said, “You fill your own cartomizers more than anyone here, this review is for you. Give it a go.” I told him I would, and after several days of use, what you see below is my hands on experience with ‘The Plunger’ by myfreedomsmoke.com
“Buy it. You need it. You know you do. It works. It’s 25 bucks”.
That’s it, good night and have a safe tomorrow…
That one single sentence was actually the review I handed in, thinking it was both funny, and pretty damned accurate. $25 for a complete kit that will ‘fill, refill, and clean’ just about every single cartomizer and cartridge on the planet? What else can you say? It works, buy it. Done.
But There Is More…
Okay, there are more things I can say, but they actually didn’t come to me right away, and perhaps they should have. Watch me as I find another 1900 words to say about The Ultimate Plunger .
Three (3) versions of this Kit are sold by My Freedom Smokes, but only one kit does it all. I reviewed The Ultimate Kit, which sells for $24.95, a price that, admit it, just about any person that vapes can afford.
Those of us that buy cartomizers usually pay $8-$12 for a 5 pack of Boge (or other) cartomizers. Having the right tools that will fill, refill, and clean those cartos is one of the most important accessories you can have. It’s the biggest no-brainer since our decision to switch to electronic cigarettes over tobacco cigarettes.
Although some of the parts contained in the Ultimate Kit are parts anyone can buy online and at some pharmacies, a couple of the pieces are so unique and so useful, yet unthought-of-before-now that My Freedom Smokes is seeking to patent it. And they’ll win the patent because it is indeed a unique product and does such an amazing job.
The piece I’m talking about is the one that looks like a ‘screw on top, (Luer Lock Bottle Cap) that is screwed into a bottle top on one end and then attached (by slipping it on) to the end of a cartomizer. You push on the plastic bottle and liquid is forced up and through the top and directly into the carto without leaking, and completely soaks the cotton-like material in the cartomizer. It’s fast, but more importantly, every fiber in the carto is soaked with the smoke juice. No messy dripping, no needles plunging into the material, and no waste. It’s a simple idea, and a great one.
What it is…
The Ultimate Plunger Kit includes three syringes from the regular kit, as well as 2 x Special Plunger Fittings, a Luer Lock-to-510 Thread, 5 x 1″ Blunt Luer Lock Needles, 1 x Luer Lock Bottle Cap – 15mm, 1 x Luer Lock Bottle Cap – 20mm, 1 x 15ml Dropper Bottle, 1 x 30ml Dropper Bottle.
With an adapter you can clean 510, 801, 901, KR-808 (Halo Cigs Cartos!), as well as all atomizers. You read that correctly, with the ultimate kit you can now clean atomizers better than you ever could without it, causing your atomizers to work at the peak performance far longer than you might have thought possible.
The only negative side is the packaging. We received a package that did not have a User Manual inside, and no indication that you could find directions for use on their website. In fact, there was nothing in our package that indicates that myfreedomsmoke.com is where the kit is sold. If this is the actual retail package and not an OEM package, then the company should think about printing up a manual and imprinting some of the pieces with their logo or name.
I have had a bit of experience filling cartos with a needle bottle, but as far as cleaning a carto I had zero experience. I usually tossed them despite knowing that most cartos can be refilled 3, 4,5, and even 6 times (Johnson Creek Vea cartos can be refilled up to 12-14 times!). When John tossed me the package I looked at it all day, trying to imagine how it would be used. Then I visited the website, watched a YouTube video, and then finally realized how easy it truly was to use each piece.
Filling a Cartomizer
- Fill your syringe with the proper amount of smoke juice for the cartomizer you want to fill. .7, 1, 1.1 or even 1.6 or more.
- Attach the carto-injector (that cap I mention above) fitting to the syringe.
- Fix the cartomizer to the other end of the injector cap and then slowly inject the smoke juice into the cartomizer until it properly filled.
- Keep the cartomizers attacked while you wait for it to be completely soaked.
- Detach the carto, put the carto “condom” back on, and store until needed
(note* Read the Halo Cigs review to learn about these cool hard plastic carto boxes that fit 5 cartos with condoms. These will make a perfect storage box for your newly filled cartos. And remember, allowing a carto to sit for a day will enhance the performance and the flavor of the smoke juice.)
Cleaning a Cartomizer
- Attach the carto-injector fitting to syringe.
- Attach cartomizer to other end of fitting.
- Place the mouthpiece end of the cartomizer under water and pull water through the cartomizer. Use a medium-sized bowl or a filled sink, your choice. But the water should be very clean.
- Push and pull water back and forth through the carto several times until it appears to be clear water going in and out. You should see no colored juice at all for at least 2 or 3 of the push and pulls.
- Remove it from the water and blow air back and forth though the cartomizer several times to remove the excess water. I usually blow on it a few times, shake it around a bit.
- Un-attach the cartomizer and let it sit for a few hours so that it dries completely. Any water left in the carto is diluting the smoke juice or it could even allow for mildew to form if left for a week or more.
How Much And How Often
This is a personal preference of course, but I’ve found that for my vaping needs I will set aside about 2 hours over the weekends and set up all the cartomizers I want to fill, clean, store, and use for the week.